Convid 19-Outbreak at ‘decisive point’ WHO urges governments around the world to act swiftly and aggressively to contain the virus.
- February 29, 2020
- Comments Off on Convid 19-Outbreak at ‘decisive point’ WHO urges governments around the world to act swiftly and aggressively to contain the virus.
The Convid0-19 outbreak has reached a “decisive point” and has “pandemic potential”, World Health Organization dirctor Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus says.
His comments come as countries around the world are battling back and forth to prevent the virus spreading even further.
In recent times, the virus have infected more people outside China than in China-the epicenter of the outbreak.
Several countries in Asia and Europe all have cases of infected persons as the virus continue to spread from person to person.
Iran and Italy have become major centres of infection, Several high-profile Iranian officials have become infected, the latest being Vice-President for Women and Family Affairs Masoumeh Ebtekar.
“It’s what’s happening in the rest of the world that’s now our greatest concern,” Dr Tedros said.
More than 800 persons from 40 countries have been infected with estimated number of deaths so far to be about 2800 the majority in China’s Hubei province.
Also the scourge has affected business activities globally, stock markets around the world have fallen sharply amid fears that increased travel restrictions will prevent business activity.
Dr Tedros urged governments to act swiftly and aggressively to contain the virus.
“We are actually in a very delicate situation in which the outbreak can go in any direction based on how we handle it,” he said.
“This is not a time for fear. This is a time for taking action to prevent infection and save lives now,” he added.