The Nigerian Federal Government said on Monday it would take action to ensure that the continued attacks meted out on Nigerians and their businesses in South Africa is put to a stop.
Reacting via his twitter account t -@GeoffreyOnyeama, The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama said the government was not happy with the incidents.
He said: “Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in South Africa by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.
In the same vein several complaints has emerged from different quarters following the incessant attacks on Nigerians in the former apartheid enclave.
President of the Nigeria Union South Africa (NUSA), Adetola Olubajo, speaking in a statement, raised alarm earlier on Monday, September 2, 2019, of the continued attacks that shows no signs of slowing down.
He said foreigners were attacked in the Jeppestown area of Johannesburg, South Africa’s biggest city, on Sunday, September 1, leaving three dead, with their businesses looted and burnt by the mob who targeted Nigerians and other foreign nationals.
“The means of livelihood of people were looted and destroyed by fire overnight which has left many Nigerians traumatized.
“Nigerian-owned businesses were seriously affected. A car sales business owned by a Nigerian were among the several businesses set ablaze over the night.
“Although the Police said that many people had been arrested in connection with the unnecessary attacks, the looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses continued till Monday morning,”